Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Learning, growing, and loving it!

Life in Zambia is great! I’m loving every minute of it and learning new things every day. Nothing can compare to the experience I’m having here with my HIZ family and the people of Zambia.
Here’s what’s been going on in the last week of my life:
I was sick for a few days with some allergies, and as a result I have no voice. If it happens like it has in the past, it wont be back for about a week. I’ll just have my lovely man voice that I tend to get every time I get sick.
Cathy is getting better and better! They decided her rashes were either staph or a side effect from medicine she was taking so they treated her for both. The rashes are drying up and will hopefully be gone soon. She got moved from the isolated room where new borns stay into a room with older kids. She’s growing up! J
I made a friend named Odysseus that won’t stop coming back to see me. Fortunately, I’ve been gone every time he comes around.  But my teachers have taught me well and I’m prepared to tell him that “I have other plans” when I am finally here to see what he wants to talk about.
We had a Week 1 devo/processing night. One week! Man, this semester is going to fly by.
I’m getting really good at Nerts! We’ve had some long nights and huge crazy games. It gets pretty intense and lots of fun!
We spent a day in Kalomo; we went to the markets and I bought my first chitangis, we ate at a “take-away” restaurant in town that was really good, and we saw and met pretty interesting people. It was a fun experience!
I made homemade banana bread with Ashley and Abbie! That was a few days ago and we’re still eating that bread. It was quite a baking experience…almost a disaster. The bread didn’t necessarily look good but it sure does taste good!
We went to Mabula Church of Christ for church on Sunday morning. This was a little church out in some village in the middle of nowhere. It was so great! No one spoke English there so it was hard to communicate but it was so interesting getting to see how they worship. We sat on logs in a little hut worshiping God with Zambian people that we didn’t know. It’s amazing how God can bring his people together even from opposite sides of the world.
We are starting to meet the students that are here for primary school and college! Eventually we’ll be spending a lot of time with them doing sports or choir or just hanging out in their dorms!
Real classes started this week…6:30 every morning. Intensive Tonga. A great way to exercise your brain first thing in the morning. Surprisingly, I’m learning a lot and loving it!    
Those are just some highlights…I wish there was a way that I could share everything with yall, but I just cant. Too much is going on and it’s all just too good. My words wouldn’t do it justice. God is working here in my heart and in the people around me. He has blessed me by giving me a semester with these Harding friends. They have encouraged me so much and have shown me the type of faith I want and how I should be living it out. I’m learning to be content whatever the circumstances. I’m learning how blessed I am. I’m learning more and more about the love of God and his power and majesty and grace. I’m just learning so much and loving it! Every minute! I wouldn’t trade it for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment