Sunday, August 21, 2011

This is real life...

Well, I've been back with my HIZ group for 2 days now and it's been so great! They are family. We've been staying at HUT and it is a lot different than the 2 week class that we had up here at the beginning of the summer. No roughing it this time! We have been spoiled with an airconditioning room, homemade meals and snacks (much more than we can eat), and lots of down time to just hang out! We dont fly out until Tuesday so we've just been enjoying time to relax and also learn and prepare for our trip! We've had some missionary anthropology classes the last couple days just to help us understand the work that we're going to be doing and especially how to do it in a new and different culture. It has already been an awesome couple of days. I can already see and feel God moving all around us. He is definitely preparing us for what ever the next few months hold. This is real. I keep having to tell myself that. I'm not just at HUT for a couple weeks this time. I'm not just hanging out with these people for a few days. We're moving to Africa together. Holy moly. I've known my group for such a short time yet there is already a bond between all of us that is so strong. Crazy thing is, it's only going to get stronger! We love just hanging out at HUT spending time with each other. Last night we went out to our favorite spot, the bluff, to sing and pray and just spend time with God. The bluff looks over some hills and valleys and there's no trees blocking our view...it's just a great spot to enjoy creation. And man, did we do that last night. The minute we got out there we were given the greatest lightning show. We sat out there singing and watching it light up the sky for a long time. After a while we just sat there in silence enjoying the show, praying, and thinking about the adventure we're about to go on. It hit me that the second I'm praying to God, He's sending this powerful lightning and listening to little me at the same time. How can you not feel close to God in a moment like that? How can you not feel His power and love and grace just completely engulfing you? We sat there together for at least an hour just laughing with joy while we watched the lightning get closer and closer and eventually felt the rain. Kelly and I just sat there with our arms spread out soaking in the storm...because lets be honest, we're from Texas...rain is a new thing for us :) It truly was incredible though. He was just renewing us, watering us, showering us with Him right before sending us out to do His work. Just as He refreshes the earth with the rain and gives it new life, He was doing that for us. He was showing us His power saying "just wait...this is only the beginning. This is just a glimpse of what you'll see in the next few months." Wow. Today has just been another great day. HIZ students from last year came and joined us for church. They shared stories, advice, Tonga songs, and encouragement with us before they left. Our group LOVES to sing, and when we get to sing in Tonga we love it even more. We dont always know what it means, but I think it's awesome that God knows what we're saying even when we dont. We know we're praising Him, but He knows exactly what we're saying to Him. I cant wait to be surrounded by the people in Zambia singing Tonga songs with them! Hearing all the students talk about their trip made me so excited to go! We leave in 2 days! In 4 days we'll be there! We'll be in Zambia! I've realized that I've had my own plans and expectations for this trip and most of them have been pretty selfish. I'm trying to squash those and let God take over. I want Him to do His own things with this trip. I dont want my plans to be fulfilled, because I know His plans will be SO much better. I cant wait!
On the last note, I'm rooming with Ashley Clement! It will be so great to get to spend this semester with her! We've been friends since kindergarten, and now we're getting to go to Zambia together! Amazing!
We fly out Tuesday, so pray for safety for our group and that all the traveling goes smoothly. Also, pray that when we get there we will be able to adjust and  become comfortable in our new home. Hopefully I'll post before that, but if not then I'll get on in Africa the first chance I get! Goodness...God's sending me to Africa. in 2 days. this is real life.

1 comment:

  1. Hanna, I'm SO excited for you! God will work through you and in you the next few months, and I'm looking forward to hearing about it through your blog. You'll be in my prayers. Be sure to give me reports on Jason and George (at Eric's House)!

    ReplyDelete